Friday, August 29, 2014

The Globe, a dome in Plain Sight; Whitney Portal

The Globe, 5.10R Whitney Portal

For some reason this year I hate walking. I don't want to walk further than the car bumper to go climbing. I don't want to shoulder a heavy bag or really see what's further in the back country. I know how much walking will be done down South...With heavy bags and soggy trails...

So I recently have become a sport climber! Once again, clipping bolts is so easy....Taking grand whippers and pushing the limits has been so fun!

But, it was time to take a walk....(Ugh, walking) and put the dancing shoes on and a hammer in hand. High above the Whitney Portal, there is dome in plain sight. So far up the hillside no sane person would want to venture to for some "Pinchie Dome". I casually pointed it out to a few, but why would one want to go that far?

Well, no one has ever said I was sane.  So it was time to drop the Globe. And there is no better partner for such a climb....

Ames and I started by soloing the Adventure Climb, Ummagumma, for 2,000ft. so we could drop in right onto the Globe.  Shwacking and shortcuts never work out and sand slogs still suck!

We went from the bottom to the top for five absolutely, amazing pitches. Burning calves from stance drilling and a wobbly hammer head, about to fly  into the abyss with every swing, made the adventure all the more exciting. Golden granite that resembled that thing in the ditch called El Cap and climbing that managed to still blow our minds, made this day out....Epic! 

Yeah, I know it's only about 600+ ft tall, but it was some of the best climbing I have done for a long time. Three bolts, lots of airy climbing, beautifully bold run-outs and virgin granite... The little red line has been drawn!














No comments:

Post a Comment